S10 4.3 Vortec ZR2 Stumble / Hesitates just after taking off

Home Forums Automotive S10 4.3 Vortec ZR2 Stumble / Hesitates just after taking off

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Beaumoi 4 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

thegrayghost

I have a 99 S10 that I just bought a few weeks ago. My wife was hesitant letting me get a new toy, but caved as long as it was a good deal and didn’t have to put much money into it. I love this truck, can’t believe I almost looked at a Ford. Got the 4WD working great now, and a tranfer case leak taken care of, but still hesitating.

Starts great, but if you drive away right away, it stumbles in that first block or two, then it acts like you flipped a switch and runs great from then on. Does this every single time after starting it, so I can’t start and dart into traffic or I get “the looks” for people. I found that if I just start it and let it idle for a minute or two before going, then it seems to be better.

I’m not getting any DTC codes. I don’t have a fuel pressure gauge, and really don’t want to do parts shotgun replacement. The way it seems to click in and then go fine seems like a give away, just not giving it away to me.

Any thoughts from anyone?

#891 Reply

Beaumoi

My guess is either the fuel filter which you would expect it to happen all of the time or more likely the Mass Air Flow Sensor, it’s the electronic device on the air intake to the engine, hard to miss. I had the almost exact same thing happen to my 99 LT and I replaced that and it squealed tires all the way down the road immediately after.

#890 Reply

peter

hi,i read somewhere it could be due to the cmfi/csefi unit at top of engine.it is activated by the pcm wich is served by severals sensors,get hold of chiltons repair handbook for s10,you can read all about it.have the same problem some times after washing my ´00 s10 4wd/ peter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: S10 4.3 Vortec ZR2 Stumble / Hesitates just after taking off
Your information: